Attorney Joseph Gilsoul is Board Certified in Tax and in Estate Planning and Administration (Probate/Successions) by the State Bar of Louisiana. A graduate of Loyola Law School, he spent six years with the Internal Revenue Service as a revenue agent and appeals officer. He earned a degree in accounting, with honors from the University of South Florida, Tampa. Mr. Gilsoul has given frequent lectures on his areas of expertise to various audiences. He is a teaching Associate in the Louisiana Consortium of Insurance and Financial Services at Louisiana State University in Shreveport. He is a member of the Shreveport, Louisiana State and American Bar association, and past president of the Tax and Estate Planning Council of Shreveport.
Mr. Gilsoul has over 25 years of experience in estate planning and Medicaid planning. He and his staff also have expertise in VA benefits, specifically in qualifying for the Aid & Attendance benefit.
After graduation from high school, Mr. Gilsoul proudly served three years in the U. S. Army including a year in Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
Per Louisiana Rule of Professional Conduct 7.4, our description of our fields of practice does not state or imply certification, specialization or expertise in any particular area of law, unless a particular lawyer holds a certification or other expertise recognized by the applicable State Bar or regulatory authority.
Mr. Gilsoul is one of only three attorneys in Louisiana who have been accepted into the prestigious Special Needs Alliance (SNA). Established in 2002, the Special Needs Alliance (SNA) is comprised of America's leading disability and public benefits lawyers. SNA members work to secure Medicaid and other public benefits for disabled individuals of all ages. The SNA's mission is to help enhance the quality of life for people with disabilities by coordinating private resources with public benefit programs through special needs planning and trusts.
Membership in SNA is selective and based on specific criteria to ensure that SNA members serve their clients with the utmost professionalism and compassion. Some of the criteria include a minimum number of years of practice in the special needs area and proven involvement with disability advocacy organizations.
More information about the SNA may be obtained at http://www.specialneedsalliance.com/.
- Areas of Practice:
- Estate Planning
- Probate and Successions
- Elder Law
- Business Planning and Related Matters
- Board Certified Tax Attorney
- Board Certified Estate Planning and Administration Specialist
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- University of South Florida, Tampa
Honors: With Honors
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Special Needs Alliance - www.specialneedsalliance.org
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys - www.naela.org
- Life Care Planning Law Firms Association - www.lcplfa.org
- Shreveport Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tax and Estate Planning Council of Shreveport
- Past President
- Louisiana Consortium of Insurance and Financial Services, Louisiana State University
- Teaching Associate
- Past Employment Positions:
- Internal Revenue Service, Revenue Agent
- Internal Revenue Service, Appeals Officer