How Divorce Works
in Louisiana

At Weems, Schimpf, Haines & Moore (APLC), our divorce attorneys represent clients in all matters relating to divorce, including property partitions, spousal support, child support, and custody matters.

There are three methods of getting divorced in Louisiana:

  • One party can file for divorce and serve the papers on their spouse. Then, after living apart for 180 days (or 365 days after January 1, 2007, if the couple has children), the couple can get divorced. This is Louisiana’s version of a no-fault divorce.
  • One party can also file for divorce after living apart from his or her spouse for six months (or 365 days after January 1, 2007, if the couple has children).
  • A party can file for immediate divorce if their spouse has committed adultery or is convicted of a crime that is punishable by life in prison. In the case of adultery, an immediate divorce may not be in the best interests of the spouse seeking a divorce since it could reduce the amount of temporary alimony he or she receives prior to divorce.

Our family lawyers understand that extended litigation should be the last alternative in resolving a divorce. Therefore, we work to achieve your goals with the least financial and emotional expense to you. However, in those instances where an amicable resolution cannot be achieved, our attorneys have the experience and the resources to pursue your interest throughout the discovery, trial, and post-trial enforcement stages.

Shreveport Community Property Lawyers

Our lawyers often advise clients about how Louisiana’s community property laws would affect them in the event of divorce.

In Louisiana, community property is property acquired during your marriage, including money, houses, retirement savings, pension plan benefits, and other belongings. It excludes inheritances or anything given to you personally as a gift during the marriage.

In the absence of a prenuptial contract, all community property is to be divided in the event of divorce. Our lawyers have litigated the division of community property ranging from sand picked up on a beach to dogs to multimillion-dollar estates. The property you bring into the marriage is separate property and is yours to keep as long as you have the records to identify the separate property.

Our lawyers are experienced in handling complex property divisions involving businesses, executive compensation such as stock options, qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs), and other complex property division matters.

Skilled Divorce Attorneys
Who Can Help You

In your initial consultation, we will help you determine your next steps and how to protect your future. Please contact a divorce attorney at Weems, Schimpf, Haines & Moore (APLC) by calling us at 318-222-2100 or by sending us an email.