One Firm For All Your Legal Needs
The law firm of Weems, Schimpf, Haines, Shemwell & Moore (APLC) has a long history of legal services to the people and businesses of Shreveport and neighboring communities in northwestern Louisiana. Whether we are handling the sale of a business or property, or representing a client in a divorce or child custody proceedings, we make sure your interests are protected and your goals achieved.
- Business formation and transactions : The decision about what type of entity to form is not a simple one. It impacts management structure, taxation, and risks to the business owner. Our Shreveport business transaction lawyers assist entrepreneurs in forming new businesses. We represent clients in business transactions ranging from small bank loans and sales to multimillion-dollar mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Litigation: Our commercial litigation attorneys work to resolve business disputes through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution or at trial. If you are involved in issues regarding oil and gas drilling rights, we offer property owners experienced and effective assistance.
- Commercial real estate : We represent buyers and sellers of commercial real estate in purchase and sales, zoning and land use, and issues of hazardous waste from a prior owner.
- Collections and bankruptcy : Our lawyers have extensive experience handling collections and protecting the rights of creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Construction law: Our construction law practice covers a wide range of legal issues including contract law, bonds and bonding, guarantees and sureties, liens and other security interests, tendering, construction claims, and related consultancy contracts. We represent all parties in the construction arena: financial institutions, surveyors, architects, builders, engineers, construction workers, and planners.
- Professional Liability Defense : Our professional liability lawyers represent insurance companies, health care providers and other professionals in lawsuits. We also partner with clients to help them manage and avoid costly litigation.
Our Louisiana family law attorneys help clients with all family law matters, including premarital agreements, paternity actions, and adoptions. We are certified in family law mediation, an alternative dispute resolution process that can help clients avoid the time and cost of litigation in divorce and child custody cases.
- Divorce : We work to achieve your goals with the least financial and emotional expense to you. However, when an amicable resolution cannot be achieved, our Shreveport divorce attorneys have the experience and the resources to pursue your interest in divorce and property division matters.
- Child custody and support : In child custody matters, our firm works to ensure our clients’ relationship with their child is protected in child custody agreements, and that any child support agreement is fair for the child and parent.
- Spousal support : Spousal support is not automatically granted with a divorce; the need for support must be established before a judge can order it.
Trusts And Estate Planning
A good estate plan will consider both the needs of your family after you are gone, and your wishes for medical care and decision making at the end of life. It will typically involve a will or trust, powers of attorney (to give someone decision-making power) and medical directives. It may involve life insurance policies and annuities. Our estates and probate attorneys can also assist you with:
- Elder law : Our attorneys help clients preserve their assets while planning for quality care in a nursing home or long-term assisted living. We specialize in planning for and obtaining Medicaid benefits and also VA benefits for qualified veterans.
- Succession/probate : Our probate attorneys represent executors and heirs with the process of submitting a will to the probate court, paying legitimate bills, and distributing the assets of a deceased person’s estate to heirs and beneficiaries.
Our Shreveport personal injury lawyers work to maximize the financial recovery our clients receive for injuries they have suffered due to another’s negligent or reckless actions. We have achieved significant results in personal injury and wrongful death cases resulting from:
- Motor vehicle accidents: including car accidents and rollover accidents, motorcycle accidents, semi truck and other commercial vehicle accidents, pedestrian and bicycle accidents. We also help people injured by uninsured and under-insured motorists.
- Premises liability : including people hurt in falls or from dog bites.
- Product liability : including defective equipment, and defective machinery.
- Construction accidents
Our appellate attorneys have successfully argued and briefed cases before Louisiana and federal appeals courts. We have extensive experience in writ applications, applications for rehearing, brief writing, and oral arguments at the Louisiana Courts of Appeal, Louisiana Supreme Court, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Initial consultation: Contact Weems, Schimpf, Haines, Shemwell & Moore (APLC).